Food technology in the culinary arts is an innovative educational programme that combines a scientific approach with practical skills and provides knowledge and competencies in three areas – food science and technology, culinary arts and business skills. This is a unique programme for the Bulgarian and European market that provides scientific knowledge with a focus on culinary processes.
Students are introduced to topics related to chemistry, physics and microbiology of food, technology of culinary processes, economics and marketing in the restaurant and food industry. Future culinary technologists will combine hands-on experience in the kitchen with food science and technology to create new dishes and tasting experiences.
The Food technology in the culinary arts programme will give you an in-depth knowledge of food and culinary processes. It will help you create new products and cooking techniques, develop your senses and give you the knowledge to work with the latest technologies and cooking techniques. The training is provided by experienced Chefs and scientists in various fields of chemistry, biology, economics, management, tourism and hospitality.
The partnership with world-renowned associations, industry organizations and academic institutions is a guarantee for the quality of education, as well as the professional success and employability of the future graduates.
The main highlights of the Programme are:
- Understanding the science behind the food and the culinary processes
- Opportunity to apply food chemistry, physics and microbiology for designing innovative and creative food products and dishes.
- Experimental study of specific methods for preparation, processing, and storage of food.
- Opportunity to develop culinary and pastry skills by learning modern cooking techniques.
- Detailed knowledge of the functionality of food ingredients, including their impact on consumers’ health and well-being.
- Usage of modern methods and techniques to create new foods, beverages, and foods such as molecular cuisine, Nano cuisine, fermentation, vacuum cooking, temperature-controlled cooking, dehydration, etc.
- Development of business, organizational and entrepreneurial skills.
- Opportunity for embarking in independent food-related research.
- Real world-experience through paid internships in a renowned company within the hospitality or food industries.
- Networking and access to prestigious organizations, numerous resources, competitions and study opportunities.
VUM has an extensive and sophisticated network of more than 200 active international partners, where our students can carry out their obligatory practical training. Thus, they get a real opportunity to create contacts, gain skills and experience in a real environment and lay the foundations for their future successful business realization.